Call your primary care physician if you are concerned and showing symptoms. If you do not have a primary care physician, contact the Louisiana 211 Network by dialing 2-1-1 to be connected to the nearest community clinic. The Louisiana Department of Health recommends testing for any patient with fever, respiratory symptoms and a negative flu test. Testing is not recommended for asymptomatic patients. Any physician can order testing based on their clinical judgement. Testing is being conducted by the state public health laboratory and some commercial labs. The state lab tests samples of high-priority patients, which include:
- Hospitalized patients with a severe respiratory illness with no other known cause
- Patients with recent onset of similar fever and lower respiratory symptoms who are associated with others with a suspected outbreak of COVID-19
- Health care workers with direct contact to a laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 case with recent fever and lower respiratory symptoms
- Homeless patients with suspected COVID-19
- Patients with suspected COVID-19 who are associated with a high-risk exposure setting such as a long-term care facility or a correctional facility
- State lab results are typically available within the same day. Results times may vary at commercial labs. For more information, contact the Louisiana 211 Network by dialing 211 or by texting LACOVID to 898-211, or visit the Louisiana Department of Health's coronavirus website.